SVAS Photo Section Photographic Competition Rules – 2024
There are two Competition Categories:
A. Any aircraft in flight (wheels not touching the ground) at Old Warden.
B. Any subject or activity at Old Warden not eligible for category A. This could include aircraft on the ground; cars, buses, bikes; the Swiss Garden; people; anything else you see at Old Warden Aerodrome, House and the estate.
1. The competition is open to prints only.
2. All prints entered must be mounted on white or cream card, preferably mounting card (see the mounting instructions below for a good source of card or check your local Hobbycraft store).
3. Mounts to be A3 outside size (42.0 x 29.7cm). The maximum print size allowed is A4 (29.7 x 21.0cm). Entries exceeding these dimensions will be rejected.
4. Only SVAS Photo Section members are eligible and the entrant’s name, category entered and SVAS membership number to be on the back of the mount. The picture title is to be on the front of the mount below the picture and to the right of centre.
5 To encourage new photographers there will be a special award for anyone who has not entered a Photo Section Print Competition before. If you wish to be considered for this, put ‘1st time entry’ on the back of the mount.
6. All entries must have been taken since the start of the 2020 display season and must not have been published previously in Prop-Swing.
7. Members may enter up to 5 prints in each category.
8. The entry fee is £4 per print in cash or cheque payable to SVAS.
9. The closing date is 23rd February 2024. Entries (together with entry fee) should be addressed to SVAS Photo Section, Old Warden Aerodrome, BIGGLESWADE, SG18 9EP, marked ‘For collection by Paul Ferguson’ and may be handed in at the shop at Old Warden if more convenient than post.
10. The competition will be judged by Ian Frimston who has considerable experience in both photography and the Shuttleworth Collection; he has previously judged the RAF photographic competition.
11. Entries will be displayed at Old Warden over the Engineering Open Workshop days (24th and 25th February 2024). The public will be invited to vote for their favourite picture.
12. Winning entries, as decided by the public and by our professional judge will be published in Prop-Swing and awards presented at the next Photo Section meeting (date to be advised).
Prizes: The winner in each category as well as the public vote winner will receive an engraved award.